Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tuscany Trip

Saluti da Urbino! This week's blog will be written by none other than the group's Asian sensation, An Nguyen! Special thanks to Marco Gonzalez for the pictures as my camera's battery fried when I plugged it into a European outlet. Now into the third week of our program I would like to encourage future participants to bring an umbrella and waterproof shoes with very good grip. The previous post by Amber Winslow mentions how much we employ our legs as the main mode of transport but another thing to bear in mind is that Urbino is very hilly, ADA would faint at sight. Expect to return home with fantastic legs!

Our first class trip took us south to the region of Tuscany where we visited Siena, Florence, Pienza, and Montepulciano. Here we had the great fortune to stay just a few blocks away from the Piazza del Campo in Siena. I would like to extend our gratitude to our hosts, Eugenia and Mierco, who were able to book us these accommodations as many places would hang up at the mere mention of American students.

Now I'm no connoisseur but I will be so bold as to say that the food in Siena was without a doubt the best I've had in my life. Make sure to try the steaks at any restaurant here and the gellateria next to the Piazza del Campo.

Of the numerous buildings we visited in Siena it was the Cathedral of Siena that made my jaw hit the floor. The scale, the decor, the atmosphere, everything about it is breath-taking.

Even if you're afraid of heights I would strongly encourage you to climb up the Torre del Mangia next to the Piazza del Campo where you'll be rewarded with a view far beyond the extent of the city.

Forewarned by Professor Alexander and Eugenia we hung on tight to our wallets and passports as we toured Florence, a gorgeous city even considering it's recent decline. Of the buildings toured here my personal favorite was Michelangelo's Med
ici Chapel where we were unfortunately unable to take pictures.

The Cathedral of Florence, bigger than Siena's by far. I was unable to go inside due to time constraints but those who did highly recommended it and even climbed up to the dome.



No comments:

Post a Comment